Mussels in Marinara Sauce
500g fresh mussels
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
8 ripe tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and finely chopped
1-2 small green chilies, finely chopped
1 large red onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 heaped tsp tomato paste
150 ml fresh fish stock
1 tsp raw honey
Himalayan Pink Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
Fresh Basil leaves for garnish
- Place the olive oil in a large saucepan over high heat and gently cook the chopped onion, sliced garlic and chopped green chilies until the onions and garlic become soft and translucent.
- Add the peeled chopped tomatoes and stir to mix.
- Add the fish stock and tomato paste. Stir all to incorporate. Season with Himalayan Pink Salt & black pepper
- Bring the tomato mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let the sauce simmer – stirring occasionally – for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, steam your mussels for about 3 minutes or until they are all open. (Discard the ones that did not open).
- Remove them from heat. Add the steamed mussels to the reduced marinara sauce and fold to mix.
- Place all in a serving dish, and sprinkle with fresh basil leaves and some salt & pepper